the smartest fascist?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Sep 4 18:57:37 PDT 2002

R wrote:

> >If America were Fascist every American on this listerv would be dead or in
> >a concentration camp.
>
> very likely. hell of a place to meet your internet friends isn't
> it. Carrol, i'll be looking for you.

Some or many of us might well end up dead or in a concentration camp -- but that would not be evidence for the U.S. being fascist. It could easily just be an instance of the marvellous repressive power of capitalist democracy -- or it could be a quite new form of authoritarian state. This habit of using "fascism" as an all-purpose pejorative is worse than stupid -- it's dangerous. It will prevent our organizing about real authoritarian threats, not just ghosts from the inter-war period.

Carrol