Zipcar?

alex lantsberg wideye at ziplink.net
Wed Sep 4 22:25:39 PDT 2002

so is it a car share type of thing like www.citycarshare.org in san francisco? the program here is getting rave reviews (and DOT funding) and is growing very rapidly. seems like a great idea for those living in the denser neighborhoods. i imagine it would work quite well in NYC.

alex

-----Original Message----- From: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com]On Behalf Of Jordan Hayes Sent: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 6:59 AM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: Re: Zipcar?

> What's the catch?

It's a decently high per-hour rate: $10-$14, depending. But for small round trips, on a semi-regular basis, it can be cost-effective over owning a whole car. I don't think there's a "catch" per se, just that it's a different pricing model (per hour, rather than per day) and a different distribution model: they outfitted the cars with coded key-card style locks, so you sign up, get a key, and when you reserve a car, they enable your key to open the car you're going to use. The big drawback to rental cars has always been that you have to go someplace central (like an airport!) to get one. I think they park these in parking lots.

/jordan