security? what security?

W. Kiernan wkiernan at concentric.net
Thu Sep 5 17:39:42 PDT 2002

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> However, there is a very little doubt in my mind that the "in the
> unlikely event of landing on water" part of the aircraft safety
> message is mainly to make the passengers feel good. Just think
> what would happen to your internal organs (brain, heart, liver,
> etc.) traveling at 200 mph when you body attached to seat by
> the belt comes to a sudden stop when the plane hits water.

Water landings are not necessarily lethal. My father once ditched a commercial airliner in the Gulf of Mexico. He told me the touchdown was so smooth (he eased it at an angle into the trough between the waves) that if he'd been holding a glass of wine in his hand he wouldn't have spilled a drop. Hope the pilot who ditches your flight is as skilled!

Yours WDK - WKiernan at concentric.net