a critique of the march on Sandton

Dddddd0814 at aol.com Dddddd0814 at aol.com
Fri Sep 6 14:15:34 PDT 2002

> Doug Henwood wrote:
>>> I don't think the only two paths open are 1) burning down convention
>>> centers or 2) listening to blowhards drone on. No one burned anything
>>> down in Seattle. A few windows were broken, which is more than fine with
>>> me, but no one thought to castrate the Space Needle.
>
> Joe R. Golowka:
>> So, should people in Argentina stop burning banks down?
>
> It depends on what it accomplishes, materially speaking. I
> think there's a considerable danger that burning banks and
> the like may become fetishized, since they're sort of
> exciting and enjoyable in themselves. What do you do for an
> encore?

>>Apply for jobs rebuilding the bank.

http://www.marxists.org/archive/trotsky/works/1909/tia09.htm

from Trotsky, "Why Marxists oppose Individual Terrorism":

"As in a strike, so in elections the method, aim, and result of the struggle always depend on the social role and strength of the proletariat as a class. Only the workers can conduct a strike. Artisans ruined by the factory, peasants whose water the factory is poisoning, or lumpen proletarians in search of plunder can smash machines, set fire to a factory, or murder its owner. "Only the conscious and organised working class can send a strong representation into the halls of parliament to look out for proletarian interests. However, in order to murder a prominent official you need not have the organised masses behind you. The recipe for explosives is accessible to all, and a Browning can be obtained anywhere. In the first case, there is a social struggle, whose methods and means flow necessarily from the nature of the prevailing social order; and in the second, a purely mechanical reaction identical anywhere - in China as in France - very striking in its outward form (murder, explosions and so forth) but absolutely harmless as far as the social system goes."