Bye bye ms Coulter

C P quintanus at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 6 16:11:30 PDT 2002

>I mean, what kind of academic is involved with the ISO? That is deep, deep
intellectual gutter slumming. ---------------- I actually went to a meeting of my union at UCBerkeley a few days ago and he was there, and he introduces himself as associated with the ISO. He makes a good scapegoat. I realized that all sorts of union leadership positions are open and would be uncontested with an election, so any highly motivated person could step up (see what happened when the UCB students associated with BAMN, front group for Troskyist worker's league, went to Oakland public schools and started running for the union leadership: http://www.eastbayexpress.com/issues/2001-04-20/feature.html/1/index.html ), and only about 18% of my department has signed with the union even though there are no dues, you don't have to be teaching to vote in elections etc.

I talked with some of the others of the very small group that attends the meetings, and they said that they wouldn't be too surprised if he actually did throw out the stacks of the student newspaper, and he came to this university as an activist republican and did a David Horowitz type change. A lot of them had experiences with the sectarian groups as undergraduates so that they could trade notes, but they had typically left after 10 meetings as a freshman.

Speaking of which, have you followed the Berkeley news generating event of today? There really is a quite significant number of active and well-funded young republicans on campus. One always hears about how they are such an oppressed minority, but I haven't heard of another student club that generates so much press and seems to have so many active members - they got a big grant for their newspaper: http://www.calpatriot.org and have done quite pushy things like putting a grad student under citizen's arrest at their David Horowitz talk and had him put in jail for a felony charge, when most reasonable witnesses report that he didn't do anything more than tell a joke. At the graduate assembly meeting (they are usually very mundane and boring) a news crew walked in and seemed to be filming us, and I couldn't figure out why. It turns out that the GA president was on the committee to arrange the 9/11 memorial, and the Young Republican club is turning what I interpret as a minor flower arrangement type of detail into a nat'l media event. I heard the president, jessica Quindel, ask for people with appropriate background to volunteer to choose movies for a balanced middle east conflict film series where there would be 2 Israeli and 2 palestinian/arabic films, and she wanted people to submit descriptions of proposed speeches for the memorial and their committee is going to balance the speakers in beautiful symmetry. *AND* contrary to this news story, they are going to have a flag on the podium and she stated that it's great if people sing the anthem, but because they decided to pass out white ribbons instead of red white and blue, it is a symbol of traitorism.

This Steve Sexton writer was the editor for the Daily Cal newspaper last semester, and he appeared on Fox news one or more times, and was famous for creating a scandal that some students in an extracurricular group met in class and pursued homosexuality and wild parties outside of class. e open microphone sessions.

www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=2783

http://www.dailycal.org/article.asp?id=9346 http://www.dailycal.org/article.asp?id=9347