The Crimes of Empire?

Brian O. Sheppard x349393 bsheppard at bari.iww.org
Sat Sep 7 04:08:16 PDT 2002

I've heard one of the best references for this issue is Daniel Guerin's _Big Business and Fascism_. Anyone read it? Have had a hard time finding it but am currently getting it through an Inter-Library Loan. Brady's _Business as a System of Power_ also looks interesting.

For ex: "Within the corporation all policies emanate from the control above. In the union of this power to determine policy with the execution thereof, all authority necessarily proceeds from the top to the bottom and all responsibility from the bottom to the top. This is, of course, the inverse of 'democratic' control; it follows the structural conditions of dictatorial power." - Robert A. Brady, Business as a System of Power (New York: Columbia University Press, 1943), p. 217.

Brian

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Chuck Munson wrote:

> Chris Doss wrote:
>
> >> [just because you post it, doesn't mean you totally agree. Chomsky
> >> by the way has said corporations are fascist and is of the view
> >> America was fascist during World War II.]
> >> http://www.foreignpolicy.com/issue_septoct_2002/chomsky.html
> >

> > Chomsky has never said anything of the sort.
>
> Actually he has, but perhaps not in those simple terms. He's written quite
> a bit about how corporations are totalitarian institutions, controlling
> every aspect of a worker's work life. We are all familiar with the fact
> that we park our free speech rights at the door when we go to work in the
> morning.
>
> Chomsky makes several observations about America during WW II in his
> recent book, "Understanding Power.' He makes the accurate observation that
> the U.S. basically turned into a fascist country, what with its suspension
> of civil liberties, imprisonment of dissenters, creation of concentration
> camps, and so on.
>
> Interestingly enough, I'm currently preparing several pages for my website
> with articles that detail anarchist resistance to militarism during WW II.
> So far, I've read the articles on anarchists in Japan and France. It was
> rather revealing to discover that several French anarchists involved in
> the Resistance were imprisoned with Communist "comrades" and later
> abandoned by them because their resistance was sufficiently pro-France
> nationalism.
>
> Chuck0

> Personal homepage -> http://chuck.mahost.org/
> Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/
> MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/
> Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/
> Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/
> Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/
>
> AIM: AgentHelloKitty
>
> Web publishing and services for your nonprofit:
> Bread and Roses Web Publishing
> http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/
>
> "...ironically, perhaps, the best organised dissenters in
> the world today are anarchists, who are busily
> undermining capitalism while the rest of the left is
> still trying to form committees."
> -- Jeremy Hardy, The Guardian (UK)

-- ---

"And Mr. Block thinks he may / Be President some day." - Joe Hill, "Mr. Block"