Lenin on character of Soviet state

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Sep 7 09:46:39 PDT 2002

Ulhas Joglekar wrote:

> Carrol Cox wrote:
> [clip]
> As if "Leninists" don't dismiss with contempt independent nations by calling
> them "formally independent", "semi-colonies", "neo-colonies" etc. As if
> "Leninists" don't show their contempt for national liberation struggles, if
> they are not lead by "vanguards" guided by "Leninist" pseudo-theories.

Have you ever heard any of these phrases from me? I didn't critique an abstract "ism," nor did I even proclaim some abstract "ism." I responded to a specific cluster of posts.

And what do you call those people who have focused all those national liberation struggles? Tahir dismissed them all (China, Vietnam, Cuba) not on a concrete analysis of any of them but merely by placing a label on them. I wrote in defense of those liberation struggles -- whether victorious or defeats, and if defeats, whether crushed in their infancy or at some point being unable to maintain themselves against the capitalist encirclement imposed on them.

I didn't speak of Ho or Mao or Fidel; I spoke of the peoples who constituted those struggles.

Carrol