Letter to NYT on Todd Gitlin's recent editorial page piece

steve philion philion at hawaii.edu
Sat Sep 7 10:19:30 PDT 2002

I understand full well his position, but he should stick to arguing the position. The smear job is not necessary, surely he can do better than that one would like to think. Ironically the same kind of tactic that he uses to smear those who opposed the bombing of Afghanistan can be used against Gitlin for his putative opposition to bombing Iraq (at this point). The warhawks could easily claim that Gitlin is not sympathetic with the victims of Saddam's regime, etc.etc., by not supporting Bush's continued war plans...

Steve

> Thanks Steve. In fact, after I sent you my email I found the editorial in
> the NY Times. While Todd was harsh I understood his position. It is a
> classic liberal position. Although I do think you are making a bigger deal
> out of it that is warrented. Most of the article was spent on trashing the
> Bush policy (except for Afghanistan) especially domestic security issues,
> big corporate capital and the dumb idea of invading Iraq. Best, Talmadge

> * Talmadge Wright (773) 508-3451 *
> * Dept. of Sociology/Anthropology FAX:(773) 508-7099 *
> * Loyola University Chicago *
> * 6525 N. Sheridan Rd. *
> * Chicago, Illinois 60626 *
>
> On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, steve philion wrote:
>
> > I was responding to a NYT editorial page piece that Gitlin wrote on his
> > assessment of 1 yr. after 911, in which he rehashes his now tired line
about
> > the 'far left' , i.e. opponents of the bombing campaign in Afghanistan,
for
> > lacking sympathy for the thousands of victims that died on that day. It
is
> > sad to see that even a year later this tactic is resorted to.
> > BTW, the "Rosa Clark" I refer to should have been "Rosa Parks". Since
the
> > chance the letter will be printed is infinitessmal, I sent it out right
> > after I sent it off to a number of lists after I emailed it to the NYT.
Feel