cities

Dddddd0814 at aol.com Dddddd0814 at aol.com
Sat Sep 7 13:45:49 PDT 2002

Paul writes: <<I believe that the entire socio-economic structure under capitalism is wholly unsustinable, as do most anarchists. That being said, large urban centers that cannot supply most of their own food aren't necessarily a bad thing under anarchism. One of the things about society is that we are all dependent on each other as we are in a broad economy, that we each contribute to in different ways. Major urban centers can form part of this contribution, and receive a contribution as well.>>

You guys keep forgetting that, until the turn of the 20th century, the vast majority of all agricultural production was *in* cities, and on their very periphery. They had to be because the transit system wasn't as complete or complex as it is now. "Urban agriculture," as it is called now, was the norm. This meant that millions of acres outside of cities did not have to be plowed just to send things by trucks and rails to the metropoli....

Best, David