fantasy ideology (was 'Sandton')

Dddddd0814 at aol.com Dddddd0814 at aol.com
Sat Sep 7 14:00:31 PDT 2002

Michael wrote: <<For want of a better term, call the phenomenon in question a fantasy ideology — by which I mean, political and ideological symbols and tropes used not for political purposes, but entirely for the benefit of furthering a specific personal or collective fantasy. It is, to be frank, something like “Dungeons and Dragons” carried out not with the trappings of medieval romances — old castles and maidens in distress — but entirely in terms of ideological symbols and emblems. The difference between them is that one is an innocent pastime while the other has proven to be one of the most terrible scourges to afflict the human race.>>

This certainly seems to describe many anarchists' parallel interests in sci-fi and fantasy novels. I wish I could remember where it was, but there is this one great anarchist website which goes seemlessly from quasi-political manifesto to a recount of Tolkien, as a direct justification of the relevance of the latter to the former....

-- david