the rise of fascism

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Sun Sep 8 10:14:43 PDT 2002

The NYTimes is reporting that the toughest theater ticket to come by this fall in NYC is likely to be for Brecht's "The Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui" put on by Tony Randall's National Actors Theater.

It will star Al Pacino, Billy Crudup, and Steve Buscemi among other well-know actors. "Set in Chicago, it tells the story of a ruthless and ludicrous gangster who takes over the city's greengrocery trade. But the real targets of the play's ire are the citizens who sit back and allow it to happen." It's a parable play about Hitler's rise to power.

Was Brecht being snobbish in his ire? I don't think snobbish is the right word. Why would the hottest tickets be for a play about such "ancient history" as the rise of German fascism? I would guess the context of 9-11 has something to do with it. Leftist alarmists might point to the Bush administration's power grabs as a real-world analogue. But perhaps those involved have the rise of Al Queda in mind. Maybe both.

Peter