On the Use of Maillists, was Re: cities

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Sep 8 16:21:38 PDT 2002

Dddddd0814 at aol.com wrote:

> <<Well, yes. In North America, the cities and the countryside were connected,
>
> [clip] cash.>>
>
> Sorry-- what I originally said about the majority of agricultural production
> seems innacurate [clip]

But notice, your inaccuracy evoked a useful informational and analytical post; i.t., your affirmtation of inaccurate information was far more useful than any vague question city and country in the 19th century would have been.

I'm using your post to make a point in a debate that has been going on between Doug and me for a number of years. My claim is that my strong affirmations in effect pose questions which others then respond to in various ways, while his questions are in effect conversation stoppers.

Carrol