Amateur hour in Jo'burg/Yo. Mr. Bond?

pms laflame at aaahawk.com
Sun Sep 8 22:28:58 PDT 2002

> As part of the G77 group of developing countries, South Africa was not
> directly represented in the energy negotiations. The G77 position was
> presented by Venezuela. This oil-producing South American country took a
> hard-line stance, siding with the US, Japan and the Organisation of
> Petroleum Exporting Countries against setting any renewables targets or
> reducing subsidies for the fossil fuel industry.

What sort of subsidies are they talking about? Also Patrick, on the audio snippet I heard it sounded as though the real uproar started right after Powel mentioned a country in the area which didn't respect human rights or follow international law, then a coupla seconds went by and to me it sounded like stunned silence in reaction to a US official even bringing up international law at this moment in history, followed by said uproar? Was that impression mistaken?

Paula