Gulf War Syndrome stats withheld

jbrown72073 at cs.com jbrown72073 at cs.com
Mon Sep 9 06:06:06 PDT 2002

jbrown72073 at cs.com wrote:

>>  Are we so PC

>>I don't understand. "PC" is rightist slang for "simple human decency."
>>How does this enter in to discussions of the Gulf War?
>>Carrol

Well, where I'm from we were using the term 'PC' before the right wing hijacked it, mostly in a positive sense, but also self-critically.  The particular error I think we're making here is--to use jargon the rightwing hasn't appropriated--a 'left error,' specifically, thinking potential allies (members of the military and their families) are enemies. Maybe it's a class thing, but a lot of people on the left don't seem to know anyone in the military and figure they're all right-wing nuts and/or war criminals.  Most of the male members of my family are vets, I hang out with a lot of vets, my brother's on full VA disability, friends are active military, worrying about this goddam war.  So that's where I'm coming from.

And sure, an appeal to simple human decency *should* be enough to stop the embargo of Iraq, never mind an invasion, right?  But we all know it's not sufficient.

Jenny Brown