How did Iraq get its weapons? We sold them

Ian Murray seamus2001 at attbi.com
Mon Sep 9 15:31:29 PDT 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Cian" <co015d5200 at blueyonder.co.uk> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Monday, September 09, 2002 3:01 PM Subject: RE: How did Iraq get its weapons? We sold them

> Ian Murray said:
> >
> > Nor did I assert that you asserted..................................Just
> > which arguments against a war that will carry the day is the issue. I
> brought
> > up the example because it also helps knock out the reparative justice
> > argument.
>
> No it fucking doesn't. All it proves is that the US is hypocritical.
> Countries behave differently to allies/clients - than they do to countries
> with whom they have no relationship.
>
> If you want to prove its not reparative justice, use another argument.

Yes it does because it debunks the shared assumption of either side to the debate that use "export of weapons by the US" shall be partly constitutive of the criteria -whether positively or negatively viewed- to be used to assess any action to be taken against a named adversary.

It also helps debunk the rabid individualism/reification of Saddam as omnipotent. That way the argument can be shifted over to the negative contagion/spillover/destabilization effects that may ensue from a prolonged -and it would be *long* time before the US could exit- presence in the region.

Ian