On the Unpopularity of Leftish TV shows....

billbartlett at dodo.com.au billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Wed Sep 11 01:20:34 PDT 2002

At 10:35 AM -0400 10/9/02, Doug Henwood wrote:

>>Donahue and Moyers--not the greatest leftists in the
>>world, but on the left at least: Why the hell aren't
>>left wing TV shows popular? Scary!
>
>Because they're pious and boring? One of the reason right-wing talk is popular is because it's aggressive and often funny. Moyers sounds like a preacher on sedatives. O'Reilly is in many ways an abomination, but he's entertaining. Michael Moore might be able to put it off, but not the eat-your-peas crowd.

How hard can it be to make fun of capitalists? People like Ben Elton never seem to have any trouble. Of course he has the advantage of not being a yank, but even American TV can be humorous. There's The Simpsons of course, don't tell me the way capitalists and authority figures are portrayed in that isn't left wing!

Michael Moore has his moments, but he's a little tedious and heavy-handed for my taste.

I dunno who these Donahue, OReilly and Moyer characters are. (perchance was Donahue the TV talk show host portrayed interviewing Dr Evil in The Spy Who Shagged Me?)

Anyhow, if the problem is that people on the left have no sense of humour, which may well be the problem, then maybe there are funny leftists? But we just can't tell. Present company excepted of course.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas