America's Army + Jon Stewart

N P Childs npchilds at connect.ab.ca
Tue Sep 10 18:55:10 PDT 2002

At 10/09/2002,, you wrote:

> > America's Army
>

> hopefully its not indicative of other software our armed services
>uses. i downloaded it to check it out. basically you need to go through
>some training -- a "tutorial" with a drill sargeant -- in order to play
>the game online against other people. the online play is annoyingly
>buggy, crashing the 3 times i attempted it.
>
>- -gr

I dunno, speaking as someone who lives in the same city where 4 Canadian soldiers killed by 'friendly fire' were stationed, this game sounds remarkably like the real thing.

Re. Jon Stewart, I've been watching him pretty constantly for about 2 years and I'd be reluctant to call him left wing. Yes, he takes swipes at President Dim Wit and veep Darth Vader, but they're easy targets and he has gone after Clinton, Democrats, Nader and the Summit in SA last month. And ever since 9/11 he has dragged numerous media gas giants from CNN, Fox and others (like Susan Coulter) in an attempt to make the show look like a serious show and given them pretty much a free ride on the medias' role in building war hysteria in the process, IMHO.

I prefer the comedy, whenever he tries commentary I keep hearing 'love me, love me, I'm a liberal' in the background. He's a useful antidote (and anecdote) to the other corporate media, but his side players like 'out at the movies' (which is priceless) and 'Back in Black' (with a guy constantly 5 seconds away from a coronary) make the show.

NPC

N Paul Childs 5967-157 Avenue Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T5Y 2P3

e-fax 413-683-9725 _______________________________________________________ 'Gee thanks, your validation means oh, so much to me'.

-Art 'Bones' MacDesalavo -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20020910/e78aaa57/attachment.htm>