Amateur hour in Jo'burg/Yo. Mr. Bond?

Brad DeLong delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Sep 10 23:28:15 PDT 2002

>This just in from Deborah James at GX:
>
>...Originally, we planned a silent protest.... The anger at the US
>delegation was so strong that the other people in the
>room and even the delegates from other countries joined right in and began
>interrupting Powell. This anger has been building over the four preparatory
>meetings (over the last year), as well as the last two weeks here in South
>Africa. Nevertheless, it is unfathomable that the delegates from other
>countries did that. That doesn't happen at the UN. It was unbelievably
>amazing. The delegates from other countries (these are senior government
>officials, heads of state) booed and jeered him throughout his speech...
>
>By the way, some press thought that we were also criticizing Powell's
>comments on Mugabe of Zimbabwe. That was completely inaccurate.

The "by the way" is a reference to a story from the Manchester Guardian, not usually a lapdog of the Bush Administration:

'The South African foreign minister, Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma, who was chairing the meeting, asked hecklers to stop. She said the outbursts were "totally unacceptable". Dissent filled the hall when Mr Powell criticised the government of Zimbabwe for exacerbating the food crisis in that country and pushing "millions of people to the brink of starvation"...'

I'm sure that Deborah James has told herself that everyone in the hall shared her agenda--as opposed to, say, a pro-Mugabe agenda--so many times that she believes it. But I don't see any reason to think that the Manchester Guardian's story is wrong.

Brad DeLong