Anniversary

Liza Featherstone lfeather32 at erols.com
Wed Sep 11 15:40:47 PDT 2002

Even a cursory reading of what I actually WROTE will show that I was urging no such thing, exactly the opposite in fact. I assumed that listers would realize that "If the U.S. were simply seeking to rid the world of AQ" refers to a scenario very different from reality. But I overestimated some people, as I often do.

If making distinctions between AQ and innocent Iraqi civilians puts me on a "slippery slope," it's a slope upon which I'm quite happy to perch. A left that refused to recognize the U.S. right to track down and punish 911 terrorists, at least in principle, would be a (very small) band of self-hating fools. I tend to assume that such a left is mostly a fictional construct dreamed up by the Todd Gitlins and Bill O'Reillys of the world. I do hope I'm right.

Liza