on being humorless

Alec Ramsdell aramsdell at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 11 18:43:30 PDT 2002

Though its corrosive taste might make it qualify for the "off-putting leftism" shelf Derek Walcott's postcolonially splenetic "The Spoiler's Return" is good at what it does. The (far) below made me think of the lines, "all those whose anger for the poor on earth / made them weep with a laughter beyond mirth."

[. . .]

Hell is a city much like Port of Spain, what the rain rots, the sun ripens some more, all in due process and within the law, as, like a sailor on a spending spree, we blow our oil-bloated economy on projects from here to eternity, and Lord, the sunlit streets break Spoiler's heart, to have natural gas and not to give a fart, to see them line-up, pitch-oil tin in hand: each independent, oil-forsaken island, like jeering at some scrunter with the blues, while you lend him some need-a-half-sole shoes, some begging bold as brass, some coming meeker, but from Jamaica to poor Dominica we make them know they begging, every loan we send them is like blood squeezed out of stone, and giving gives us back the right to laugh that we couldn't see we own black people starve, and, more we give, more we congratulate we-self on our own self-sufficient state. In all them project, all them Five-Year Plan, what happen to the Brotherhood of Man? Around the time I dead it wasn't so, we sang the Commonwealth of caiso, we was in chains, but chains made us unite, now who have, good for them, and who blight, blight; my bread is bitterness, my wine is gall, my chorus is the same: "I want to fall."