Evidence was Re: Anniversary

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Thu Sep 12 12:16:05 PDT 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Yoshie Furuhashi" <yoshie_furuhashi at yahoo.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2002 4:00 AM Subject: Re: Anniversary

> "Would have" without evidence is a useful mood indeed.
>
> Yoshie

The fact that Al Qaeda nearly took out far more than 3,000 at the World Trade Center (thankfully, the time between impact and collapse was enough to allow most to be evacuated) and that they were also planning further attacks seems like pretty good evidence to me. If you're not a pacifist (in which case you could simply say you reject war no matter the consequences), we're going to to have to construct counterfactuals to illuminate what would've been the best course.

-- Luke