disability metaphors

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Thu Sep 12 10:03:47 PDT 2002

>At 05:01 PM 09/11/2002 -0400, Marta wrote:
>>

>No doubt I need to be educated about these issues but my initial
>reaction to this is that calling a nation blind, mute, deaf, and
>dumb is not an insult to those who are physically or mentally
>disabled (who presumably would choose to see, speak, hear, and think
>if they had the choice),

Well that is where we differ. Deaf are proud to be deaf, blind have a bonding positive to blindness and mobility impaired are imbued with disability pride. So everything else you have written here I would disagree with.

The whole point is not to be defined as less than or not whole or any of those other presumptions. Read The Ragged Edge, Mouth: the voice of disability rights. You will see we really don't view things in the way you lay this out.

We are "disabled" by society not by impairment. You are stuck it seems in the old welfare policy model of thinking of disability. We have moved on to disablism. Marta

-- Marta Russell Los Angeles, CA http://www.disweb.org