Gulf War Syndrome stats withheld

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Thu Sep 12 10:43:33 PDT 2002

>From: Yoshie Furuhashi <yoshie_furuhashi at yahoo.com>
>Subject: Re: Gulf War Syndrome stats withheld
>
>> >- --- jbrown72073 at cs.com wrote:
>> Yes, there's a lot of good stuff out there on GulfWar Syndrome, as well as
>> plenty that's questionable. I meant that the anti-war movement is not
using
>> U.S. casualties in the last war as an argument against a new all-out war
with
>> Iraq. In other words, we're letting the myth of the 'war without U.S.
>> casualties' stand.
>
>I disagree. The Gulf War Syndrome studies (of various
>qualities, as you note) have been out there and made
>use of by activists against the sanction and the
>proposed war on Iraq. If you do see a shortcoming in
>this regard around you in your town or among the
>activists you know, however, it's up to you to take an
>initiative in correcting the problem. You, being in
>the Labor Party, are rather well placed to begin
>making the correction soon, among one segment of
>activists. Bring it up at the convention!

Yes, true. I also co-edit a 5,000 circulation local monthly and the current front page does mention this issue in passing. While working on our September issue, I read a numbing quantity of left articles opposing a U.S. attack on Iraq, and noticed that none of them mentioned Gulf War Syndrome. Searching further, I found no mention of it since March or so in any article on Common Dreams or Z-net. Ah, sez I, there must be some resistance to using this as an argument against the New War, even though polls show a dropoff in the U.S. public's support for 'regime-change' in Iraq if significant U.S. casualties are predicted. I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

>> Of course, if the main cause is depleted uranium
>> weaponry, these people would
>> be victims of what the military calls 'friendly
>> fire.' Guess they're not
>> referring to the class war.
>
>I'm not sure if I get your drift here. In my opinion,
>that war affects poorer workers -- disproportionately
>of color in the USA -- more harshly than the better
>off has been a staple of anti-war and anti-imperialist
>arguments, as it is poorer workers who join the
>military and become foot soldiers (rather than career
>officers).

Sorry, that was a bit cryptic. When U.S. military employment of depleted uranium weapons sickens U.S. troops, it could be regarded as friendly fire--in the sense of your own side firing on you by mistake--but only if you think weapons manufacturers are on your side, and you think it's a mistake. It's enemy fire if you look at it from a class war perspective. That's my point, who's the bigger threat if you're a regular GI, Saddam, or your employer?

>Yoshie

Jenny Brown