The Left and 9/11

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Fri Sep 13 09:49:15 PDT 2002

Chuck Grimes:

> Meanwhile the rest of us are taking the hit in bullshit security
> measures, abandonment of the Bills of Rights, endless saturation of
> chauvinistic fascism that is supposed to pass as patriotism, wall to
> wall rightwing propaganda as news, and virtually total world
> condemnation. It is so nice to be counted among the most hated people
> on earth.

Still living in Berkeley, Chuck? Perhaps you should visit the middle of the country and talk to some folks. I think you'd be surprised (then again, given the blue smoke coming out of your ears, maybe not). Even Chomsky, who's held in high regard by those who find al-Qaeda to be a minor irritant at best, has said that thanks to years of civil rights and civil liberties activism and victories, there is more resistance to the assault on the Bill of Rights than is imagined. In other words, Ashcroft doesn't have the open field that he and others think is there.

> Oh, and needless to say we are now treated to unlimited war rattling
> against Iraq for the sole purpose of completely obfuscating the
> November elections and their literally corrupt, bankrupt, and
> fraudulent domestic agendas.

Actually, the attack on Iraq, which seems is coming like it or not, has more to do with oil and geopolitical positioning than anything else. Also, it will give Israel the cover it needs to finish cleansing the territories. Awful enough without domestic issues being dragged in.

DP