Cooper on the anniversary

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Sat Sep 14 05:46:24 PDT 2002

Jacob Conrad:

> It seems to me that there was a general consensus throughout the "broad
left"
> that the surviving perpetrators of the 9/11 crimes deserved to be brought
> justice. People differed about what the most appropriate methods might
be.
> People on the left tended to favor a truly international effort, and one
more
> oriented towards police action rather than a military assault.

Actually, there is an international effort going on, particulary in Europe. But when it came to actually hitting the Taliban, the left, for the most part, either favored doing nothing or engaging in some kind of "police action." When asked how this "police action" might differ from what actually happened -- I mean, what kind of force would be used -- the Policers usually muttered and shuffled their feet. And for good reason.

> I too mourn their deaths without guilt or hesitation. Is Cooper trying to
> suggest that leftists "hesitate" to mourn for people who died horrible
deaths
> jumping out of skyscraper windows from 90 floors up? The hell with this
> "plague on both your houses" stuff from people who are supposed to be on
the
> left side.

Not that I'm endorsing Cooper's standard up-tilted nose approach to matters, but I think a "plague on both your houses" is healthy, independent. And remember how some of the left reacted while the rubble was still smoking -- waving fists and chanting "No War!" That dreadful ANSWER rally some weeks after the attacks summed it up for me --very little if any sympathy for the dead and their loved ones; plenty of Correct posturing for hours on end. Fuck them.

DP