why we are so weak

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Sat Sep 14 13:29:30 PDT 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Saturday, September 14, 2002 9:47 AM Subject: Re: why we are so weak

> Why must we ape the bourgeoisie in making everything an either/or
> forced choice binary? Why can't we hate Bush and Saddam too?

Marc wasn't making it an either/or choice. He was asking a fitting question: who is a greater threat to the world, Saddam or Bush? For my money, despite the fact that the latter is something of a cretin and has politics I abhor, the former is a greater threat to the world. Saddam is not a benevolent dictator. He would have had nukes as his disposal long ago if not for outside intervention. Who knows what sort of havoc he might create in the ME if Iraq is able to build nuclear weapons in the near future?

> Is it just too complicated to hold two thoughts in mind at once?

Not really. We need to prioritize threats all the time, and doing so is actually more difficult than simply saying "they're all bad."

-- Luke