The 7 principles of Neoimperialism

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 14 16:01:11 PDT 2002

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
>Carl Remick wrote:
>
>>Much worse. There was something self-parodying about the
>>thinking-the-unthinkable school; in retrospect, Herman Kahn seems more a
>>performance artist than a theoretician -- comic relief compared to those
>>two Council on Foreign Relations policy bots you interviewed the other
>>day. While the US was very willing to use force in the past, it was just
>>a bit embarrassed about it -- e.g., steadily frittering its power away in
>>endless failed escalations in Vietnam. But there's no gap between thought
>>and action for today's grim apostles of neoimperialism, no reluctance to
>>wield whatever's available in the nation's arsenal. Don Rumsfeld's New
>>Model Army is ready for use anyplace anytime in any degree, on any whim at
>>all.
>
>But the U.S. killed millions during the Cold War. Two, three million
>Indochinese. How many Latin Americans, via death squads and disappearances?
>As awful as the post Cold War adventures have been, the death toll is
>nothing like it. You're making the Golden Age seem a bit too golden.
>
>Doug

[No doubt. But back then I was at least spared a steady diet of news items like this:]

Vermont Senator Wants Study of Terror Link to West Nile Virus

By CHRISTOPHER MARQUIS

WASHINGTON, Sept. 12 — Senator Patrick J. Leahy, Democrat of Vermont, said today that the authorities should examine whether the spread of the West Nile virus in this country is a result of biological terrorism.

[http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/13/politics/13VIRU.html]

Carl