why we are so weak

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Sep 14 17:40:58 PDT 2002

Marc Rodrigues wrote:

> >Why must we ape the bourgeoisie in making everything an either/or
> >forced choice binary? Why can't we hate Bush and Saddam too? Is it
> >just too complicated to hold two thoughts in mind at once?
> >Doug
>
> Of course, no one is saying that you can't be opposed to bush and saddam
> at the same time, or for that matter, that you can't be opposed to bush
> and "al qaeda" at the same time either.

I think there is a serious confusion here (perhaps what is called a category mistake).

Opposition to Bush (for a U.S. citizen) can become the grounds of activity that potentially makes a difference.

Opposition to Saddam (for a U.S. citizen) is a merely symbolic gesture, having no material content. And such gestures (as I argued as far back as the U.S. invasion of Yugoslavia) are essentially in bad faith, whether those making them realize it or not.

Carrol