Anniversary

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Sep 15 05:13:24 PDT 2002

Liza wrote:

>>In any case, what's the point of "if this" and "if that"? We are
>>confronting the US government and society as they exist now, not as
>>they could possibly be in some distant future.
>>
>>Yoshie
>
>My point is that we can agree with Dennis that AQ are "our enemies"
>and "must go" without endorsing GWB's War on the Whole World. I
>hate and deplore just about every aspect of the war - the roundup of
>immigrants, the planned attack on Iraq - but I'd cheer Osama's death
>- or arrest - with ecstatic joy.

It goes without saying that AQ are enemies of women and leftists, of whatever nationality, and that is why the US government used to support them and their fellow fundamentalists in Afghanistan before the fall of the Soviet Union. It could have made some difference if leftists in the USA had actively and passionately opposed US support for fundamentalists in Afghanistan when it mattered, that is, before they won.

In practical terms, what matters today whether or not you cheer Osama's death or AQ's demise? It won't be you who will be responsible for either when it comes. -- Yoshie