Afghan war dead?

Joe R. Golowka joeg at ieee.org
Sun Sep 15 16:55:51 PDT 2002

Peter K. wrote:

> Well what did they expect to happen when they crashed planes
> full of civilians into buildings full of civilians?

It's no different from the US dropping cluster bombs on villages.

> The first thing to remember when trying to guess what Al Qaeda was
> thinking is their worldview or outlook. The victims were infidels in
> their minds, as are we. Infidels deserve to die from their point of view
> while Washington probably doesn't think that 'collateral damage' victims
> deserve it.

This is utter bullshit. If you read the actual statements and writtings made by Al-Qaeda supporters they justify it not because those killed were "infidels" but because it was retaliation for Muslims killed by the US. This is explicitely stated. We don't have to guess at what al-qaeda is thinking - they'll tell us (and have). The first thing to remember when discussing what Al-Qaeda memebers are thinking is that their worldview/outlook is not the simplistic characature portrayed on CNN. If Al-Qaeda wanted to maximize casualties they'd have crashed into nuclear plants, not the Pentagon. Show me one statement in which Bin Laden calls for the extermination of _all_ infidels worldwide simply because they are infidels. You can't because he never advocated that.

> Looks like Saddam Hussein will be listed among Al Qaeda's 'collateral damage'
> - albeit indirectly collateral.

They'll certainly be happy with that since they want Hussein overthrown.

-- Joe R. Golowka JoeG at ieee.org Anarchist FAQ -- http://www.anarchyfaq.org

"According to the libertarian litany, if an industry or an institution is making a profit, it is satisfying "wants" whose origins and content are deliberately disregarded. But what we want, what we are capable of wanting is relative to the forms of social organization. People "want" fast food because they have to hurry back to work, because processed supermarket food doesn't taste much better anyway, because the nuclear family (for the dwindling minority who have even that to go home to) is too small and too stressed to sustain much festivity in cooking and eating -- and so forth. It is only people who can't get what they want who resign themselves to want more of what they can get. Since we cannot be friends and lovers, we wail for more candy." - Bob Black