Anniversary

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Sep 15 20:14:12 PDT 2002

>Liza Featherstone wrote:
>
>>Why NOT point out where the left agrees with the majority, whenever possible
>>- it makes our minority positions less alien and more persuasive.
>
>I don't doubt that people are driven away from the left because of
>the inability of so many of us to say that it's barbaric to blow up
>cafes or drive airplanes into buildings. It takes a special kind of
>rigid moralism and self-censorship, and a ruthless ability to
>repress normal human sympathy to qualify.
>
>Doug

Do you actually have evidence that many leftists have refused to condemn 9.11 terrors? That's not the impression that I get from listening to Robert Fisk ("a crime against humanity that is so awesome in scale and death," <http://www.progressive.org/0901/intv1201.html>), Noam Chomsky ("a particularly horrifying terrorist crime," <http://www.monthlyreview.org/1101chomsky.htm>), and other writers and activists on the left. The only "leftist" who fits your description that I can think of is Ward Churchill, but why slander "so many of us" for one man's thought crime? -- Yoshie