Anniversary

Dddddd0814 at aol.com Dddddd0814 at aol.com
Mon Sep 16 12:40:47 PDT 2002

Joe writes:
> Actually, some of Bin Laden's statements imply that he'd be willing to
> negotiate if he actually thought he could get the US to withdraw from
> the Persian Gulf with negotiation. He, like you, does not believe his
> enemy is willing to negotiate and uses very similar rhetoric. He
> believes that the only way to get Americans to stop killing Muslims is
> to start killing Americans. If Americans would stop killing Muslims,
> propping up dictatorships, etc. a peace deal is definately not out of
> the question. But both sides will have to stop dehumanizing the other.

Dennis responds: <<What about Muslims killing Muslims? You got bin Laden's angle on that? You seem pretty comfortable acting as his ventriloquist ("See, where's what bin Laden's really saying here . . .") Can't argue with your fantasies, Joe. You're welcome to them.>>

David: And what about Americans killing other Americans? No, Dennis, I think you're missing what Joe's saying-- i.e. that the US is willing to go to war to defend the interests of capital, using the most ruthless military tactics, without pause for discussion, either with the "enemy" or its closer allies. The "fantasy" is that you're arguing with Joe's weaker points rather than his strengths. And here's more fantasies:

Dennis writes: <<So tell me, Joe -- How is al-Qaeda not fascist?>>

David: Who threatens to dominate the entire geopolitical sphere, Dennis? Is it al-Qaeda or the US? Who has been directly responsible for the deaths of 8 million people in the past 35 years? (3 million alone in Vietnam). Where is Babylon located today? In Tora Bora???!!

Talk about losing grips with reality!

Incidentally, I think it's important to understand the history of the ideological association of Muslims and Arabs with fascists. This history began with the victory of Zionism and the creation of the state of Israel, and continued with the rise of the Nation of Islam and an article in Life magazine entitled "The Hate that Hate Produced." It surfaced most poignantly again when the media tried to make something of the fact that John Walker Lindh was inspired by the autobiography of Malcolm X, and continues with Bush's subtle but constant allusions to WWII.

Why doesn't Dennis develop his point of view to its conclusion by stating that the Jewish Partisans in Poland were the "real fascists" because they blew up German trains with civilians that were taking supplies to the front?

-- d