why we are so weak

Liza Featherstone lfeather32 at erols.com
Mon Sep 16 14:51:00 PDT 2002

But politics is so much about hating and cheering, because those are expressions of passion. Every good political demo has a rousing dose of hatred and of cheering. People get political when they feel strongly about things and solidarize with others who share those passions. Nothing wrong with that -- in fact, aren't all movements largely founded on common cheerings and hatreds? When we hate and cheer some of the same things as the majority, it make sense to say so -- we reach more people and gain more support for our positions.

Doug would have the exact cite, but Kevin Phillips said something like "Politics is all about knowing who hates who."

There was a great reluctance among some anti-war activists to "condemn the 911 attacks." Some local groups were very divided about the issue, strange as that may sound. Some just didn't do it, rejecting it as pandering or boilerplate, or objecting on ideological grounds. But the many other groups who shared the majority's hatred of the terrorists - and anger at the attack - (and said so) sounded a lot less marginal at that moment.

Liza