Terror and Counter-Terror Re: Anniversary

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Sep 16 20:15:11 PDT 2002

>Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
>>US leftists can study how leftists in other nations reacted to
>>terror (by other leftists, nationalists, religious fundamentalists,
>>etc.) and counter-terror (by the state), e.g. in Algeria,
>>Argentina, England, India, Israel, Peru, Sri Lanka, etc. We can
>>learn from their successes and failures.
>
>Happy to. What do you know about them?
>
>Doug

I'm no expert on the subject, and I'd be happy to learn from those who know more about it. One thing I do know about it is that a number of women came out and created a new space for dissent: Las Madres de Plaza de Mayo in Argentina, Women in Black in Israel and elsewhere. We do weekly Women in Black vigils every Friday, 5-6 PM, at the corner of 15th Ave. and High St. in Columbus, OH; one of the regular participants is an exile from Argentina, whose husband was arrested and imprisoned during the Dirty War. The Columbus Women in Black did a vigil to commemorate 9.11.01 as well. -- Yoshie