lbo-talk-digest V1 #6704

Daniel Davies dsquared at al-islam.com
Tue Sep 17 00:26:30 PDT 2002

>Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 13:19:06 -0400
>From: Doug Henwood
>Subject: Re: Terror and Counter-Terror Re: Anniversary

>Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>>US leftists can study how leftists in other nations >>reacted to terror
(by other leftists, nationalists,
>>religious fundamentalists, etc.) and counter-terror (by
>>the state), e.g. in Algeria, Argentina, England, India,
>>Israel, Peru, Sri Lanka, etc. We can learn from
>>their successes and failures.

>Happy to. What do you know about them?

>Doug

All I can add to this would be that the general strategy of the English left was to say really stupid and annoying things about the IRA every couple of months, appear on platforms with acknowledged mass murderers and become increasingly unpopular and irrelevant for twenty years while the welfare state and the unions were dismantled.

I have to say it was quite fun at the time though, so have a ball, lads 'n' lasses.

dd