RAWA and Taliban from the archives

Jeffrey Fisher jfisher at igc.org
Tue Sep 17 08:08:24 PDT 2002

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002 10:42:14 -0400 Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> Tahir Wood wrote:
>
> >Tahir: RAWA criminal, Taliban
> anti-imperialist.
>
> Thanks for the archival work Tahir. I guess
> they don't really count
> though, because, well, just because.

well, i stand corrected in my assertion that there was no "soft on al qa'ida left." there's one for dennis. ;-) although it remains unclear to me just how numerous this SOAQ Left really is. maybe i just blocked this stuff from my memory because it seemed too bizarre. i've never understood the argument to be about the relative (de)merits of the taliban or al qa'ida. and i don't think anti-imperialism is ipso facto progressive (and i don't think marx would, either, but maybe i'm wrong about that, too). just a question to me of how leftists are supposed to deal with empire, on the one hand, and everyone else (progressive or reactionary) on the other.

curious for the thoughts of some of the people tahir quoted . . .