The fatuity of arguments over "deserve"

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Sep 17 19:19:27 PDT 2002

Chris Doss wrote:

> Did the Nazis deserve Dresden? Did the individuals who died in Dresden (many
> of whom were supporters of the Nazis) deserve it? (I would say no, but I
> think many people would disagree.)

I believe a number of posters have pointed out, implicitly or explicitly, that "deserve" is not a relevant category in this discussion. Debates about who deserves what are always silly.

No one deserves to die, though good results can be had by killing people at times, as in the Civil War and (for the most part) in WW2. I think there is a pretty good empirical case to be made however that for the past 50 years not one single violent act by the U.S. (direct or indirect) has had other than a negative result for humanity. I see no reason to expect any change.

Carrol