Lefty Despair

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Wed Sep 18 07:26:00 PDT 2002

> Nowhere have I said or even implied that Japan is "free of racism,
> hatred, and other sins." Why do you have to get defensive about
> America's standing relative to other nations in others' opinions,
> especially since criticisms of US imperialism, current assaults on
> civil liberties, etc. do not imply at all that other nations are free
> from exactly the same or even worse problems. What makes USA
> "unique" for the time being is its hegemony -- nothing more, nothing
> less. It will cease to be "unique" once it loses its hegemony.
>
> Yoshie

Now, now Yoshie -- surely you see I wasn't being literal here. What I object to, and am becoming increasingly impatient with, is this lefty despair about the US, how it's this Nazi state and any minute now the Gestapo's gonna kick down your door and throw you in a cell with John Walker Lindh. Doug has touched on this somewhat of late, but what pisses me off is that many lefties truly think that their efforts are for naught -- that no matter what they do, the Nazi state is there to cancel it.

Bullshit. The left (which supposedly doesn't exist according to Comrade Cox) has had tremendous success in shifting the mainstream view of events. The shift is slow but it is there. Right after 9/11 we had a right wing Republican president from Texas openly meeting with Muslim clerics and calling on citizens not to engage in racist violence. Now, this was all PR of course, but who inspired this gesture? What was it in the culture that made the Bush gang feel they had to do this? Twenty years ago you never would have seen such a thing. Carroll sniffs and says that there is no "left," but somebody was organizing around Middle East issues and helped to slowly turn the public's view in another and better direction. Same with the calls for a Palestinian state and Palestinian human rights -- used to be you couldn't say this out loud with either being ignored or defamed; and while the defamation still exists, it has a hysterical and desperate tone to it. Why? Because calling someone an anti-Semite or a Jew hater for considering the Palestinians as humans doesn't carry the weight it used to.

Did this change come from the heavens? Call it what you want to -- the left, progressives, a bunch of good people trying to make a difference, The Monkees, whatever -- there has been a shift to the better, and it's a waste of time pretending that we have no power at all.

DP