Re; ratting on profs

pms laflame at aaahawk.com
Thu Sep 19 13:00:33 PDT 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: Michael Pugliese <debsian at pacbell.net> To: lbo-talk <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com>

Thanks Michael. I remember reading this now. Several of the statements seem to hold keys to very ambiguous conclusions of what really happened. Ya know?

. "They pushed us, and we pushed
> back," said Patrick Amar, a member of the campus chapter of Hillel, which
invited Mr. Netanyahu to
> speak.
>
> The protesters eventually entered the building, and Montreal police
officers used tear gas to
> disperse them. >
. The protesters never reached the lecture hall.

> for not doing more to quell tensions. "The innocent bystanders are not so
innocent. Professors and
> students have to stand up and say this is not acceptable. There has to be
a real push for civility.

> "Our activities are not political." (said the Hillel fellow, having lost
his idealism)

I bet many of those squeaky clean Christian youths who came in the restaurant after listening to a Sept 11 memorial service featuring Oliver North wouldn't consider it a political event either. Their sanctimony and rage was just bristling beneath the surface though.