Israel's right to exist

Cian co015d5200 at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Sep 19 17:31:57 PDT 2002

joanna bujes said:

> I don't think there's any such thing as western guilt -- and anyway how do
> you absolve guilt by making the Palestinians pay the price? Nonesense.

I don't think it has anything to do with guilt either, but I think the holocaust is key to some of their support. Its a sound bite for liberals who don't like to think much. Mention the holocaust (never again), and you have their unquestioning support. Maybe we need a counter sound bite for the Palestinians?

> I think it was and is the thin end of the wedge for Imperialism in the
> Middle East...

Except it doesn't really make much sense. America gains very little from supporting Israel, whereas it loses a fair bit. Strategically Israel is useless. Ideologically its a millstone (as shown in the current desperate attempts to attack Iraq). Why do the neocons support Israel? Thinktank links? Or just a shared insanity?

The Christian Zionists seem to be the main force supporting Israel these days. Does anyone know which of the current administration are Christian Zionists? Ashcroft obviously, and a good search suggested that Rumsfield has links of some kind (though what they are seemed a bit vague). What about the other two defence guys?