Anniversary

Cian co015d5200 at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Sep 19 19:09:54 PDT 2002

Yoshie Furuhashi said:

> You don't need much training facility to practice terrors (though you
> need a lot of it to create and discipline conventional armed forces).
> There have been a number of attacks in Afghanistan and Pakistan since
> 9.11.01 (e.g., a car bomb outside the US consulate in Karachi on June
> 14, killing 12 Pakistanis); you haven't taken note of them since they
> happened outside the West, on much lesser scales than 9.11 (like the
> attacks on the US embassies in Nairobi and Dar es Salaam in 1998).

They were pretty widely reported in the UK press. An attack in Pakistan is not terribly surprising, but its different from an attack in the west.

Mostly the camps seem to have been training cannon fodder for Al-Quaeda's various wars, but those wars are important to Al-Queda. It wasn't just an armed force, but also a trainer for the shock troops of the Islamic jihads (Kashmir, Afghanistan and Saudi Arabia in the future?).

> Besides, I don't believe Afghan training camps were useful for the
> 9.11 hijacking. The hijackers learned to fly planes in Florida, not
> in Afghanistan.

But they all went to the camps in Afghanistan, which if nothing else were useful for creating a common sense of purpose, camardery etc. There does seem to have been some training in terrorist techniques, though how effective they would have been... I think those camps were also a powerful propoghanda tool, judging by those ridiculous videos that they produced. GI Joe for good little muslim boys.