dangerous men

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Sep 19 20:48:11 PDT 2002

Alexander Nekvasil wrote:

> "... but the glance / of melancoly is a fearful gift. /
> What is it but the telescope of truth / which brings
> life near in utter nakedness / making the cold reality
> too real?" -- Byron, dangerous depressive (?)

I loved Don Juan when I read it about 45 years ago, and have been meaning to reread (and rereread) it ever since -- but never got around to it. It was almost the only time I was ever seriously disappointed that a book ended so soon.

I myself have suffered pretty severely from depression over the years.

Carrol