Lefty Despair

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Thu Sep 19 20:52:29 PDT 2002

> One big problem, it seems to me, is that, being in this powerless state,
> the various "left" groups become even more angry and resentful than
> before, and therefore lash out at each other, accusing each other of
> betraying the noble cause and acting as "class traitors" and "objective
> allies of the capitalist enemy," etc.

> Ah, the hankering after utopia is so hard to get rid of!

> Jon Johanning

But I don't think lefties are all that powerless, except in the heads of those who grasp marginalization as some kind of righteous quality (or engage in behavior that guarantees widespread revulsion). Hankering after Utopia is fine in small doses, but the fact that it hasn't come shouldn't blind us to what we, and those before us, have accomplished.

DP