Anniversary

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Sep 20 06:43:55 PDT 2002

> > The poor among the working class are indeed browbeaten into thinking
>> that they alone are to blame for the problems that oppress them, be
>> they material or cultural deprivations. In turn, the better off
>> among the working class are encouraged to think of their conditions
>> as matters of personal accomplishments only (talent, hard work,
>> can-do spirit, etc.), rather than matters of social structures,
>> functions, etc. subject to (even radical) change. To some of the
>> poor as well as the better off, analyses that clarify the social
>> relations that create poverty may even come across as personal
>> affronts, as such explanations may appear to take away a sense of
>> personal achievement, a belief in ability to control one's own
>> destiny, etc. that they wish to have
>
>> Yoshie
>
>Well, speaking as a guy who actually toils with black and white working
>class people on a nightly basis, I can safely say that hard work is indeed
>considered a virtue, and it should be. Most of the people I work with take
>pride in their labor, consider themselves pros, and have made decent lives
>for themselves. I'm afraid Leninist constructs about their "oppression"
>would be completely alien to them, and I think it's safe to say this is true
>across the board. There exists a camaraderie that no outside political agent
>can break or even understand -- especially an agent from academia, head
>filled with visions of American workers waving red pennants.
>
>DP

Hard work can be a virtue, but it's self-defeating, under capitalism, to think that as long as you work hard, you can get a job (especially one that brings you above the poverty line) and that if you don't have a job or are poor, you have only yourself to blame. It's common for the unemployed to get depressed, and that's no wonder. -- Yoshie