Russia's demographic crisis

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 20 09:54:03 PDT 2002

Just six random people in Moscow.

The Russia Journal :: The Russia Journal :: Opinion || Articles RJ STREET POLL: What do you think about the low birth rate in Moscow?

By YELENA BUSOVIKOVA / The Russia Journal

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- KSENIYA SHAPKINA, STUDENT

I think it’s terrible. It’s the government’s fault. The financial aid the government provides to young mothers is extremely small. Unfortunately, not everyone can afford to have a baby nowadays. Having children has become more of a luxury, so only the wealthy can afford it. I think we should develop more social programs to help improve our standard of living and encourage people to have more children.

IGOR CHERNOV, STUDENT

Of course, I don’t think it is a good thing, but I'm hardly contributing to the improvement of the situation. Obviously, young families need state subsidies to encourage them to have children. It's always a question of money, and during the times when the unemployment rate is high such questions are not easily solved. But the low birth rate doesn’t have a negative effect on our society as far as I can tell.

LYUDMILA NESTEROVA, LEGAL ASSISTANT

It would be good to increase the birth rate in Moscow, but for that we would need to improve living conditions. The state needs to create more programs to help young families bring up the future generation. At the same time, though, I think [the low birth rate] is normal because the world is overpopulated in general. There should be a balance, and I suppose the Russian capital is participating in it.

VALERY TIMOFEYEV, REAL-ESTATE AGENT

According to statistics, birth rates are low in Moscow, but so many women I know are pregnant that I can hardly believe it. Of course, I realize the situation in Moscow is pretty bad, and it's a direct result of the economic difficulties, including low incomes and unemployment, which families endure. Plus, the mentality is changing. Young people today put career goals before family.

IRINA ANDRIYEVSKAYA, INTERN

The low birth rate has to do with the difficult lives our young people have. I feel really bad about it. The population is shrinking rapidly, especially in big cities. It’s hard nowadays for young families to support themselves – oftentimes while still living with their parents – and bring up kids at the same time. Women want to feel secure before they have a baby.

IGOR KONONOV, COPY EDITOR

I think the low birth rate in Moscow is a serious problem. The reason is that the relationships between men and women have become unhealthy. The media glorifies homosexuality, and it has become very popular in the capital. Another reason is that there are hardly any real men who can take care of their families, and there are few women who can be mothers in the traditional sense. Women have become men-like, and their families and children aren't their priorities any longer. American psychologists recommend that women develop careers, make money and enjoy life before they have families, and many Russians are buying into it.

[20 Sep 2002]

Find out more at The Russia Journal