Lefty despair

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Sep 20 10:37:53 PDT 2002

Cian wrote:

> > Let's put it this way: constant jeremiads that "the left in general"
>> is fixated on self-sacrifice, manipulative, given to guilt tripping,
>> outright puritanical, etc., etc. are likely to give not only leftists
>> who don't fancy jeremiads, but also those who may go left given a
>> chance, indeed "more pain than pleasure." If I were not a leftist
>> already, reading the passage cited above (which makes it sound like
>> being among leftists is bad for health) certainly would motivate me
>> _not_ to become one.
>
>Yeah, its so much easier to shoot the messenger isn't it...

What's the point of writing a humorless jeremiad that complains about humorlessness, a pleasureless jeremiad that complains about pleasurelessness? In that case, I can only say to the messenger, "Well, speak for yourself." If you want to celebrate wit and skewer the witless, you want to do so with wit. The same goes for pleasure. Lead by example. -- Yoshie