Lefty despair

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Fri Sep 20 12:42:26 PDT 2002

The cadre groups use guilt to motivate people because a) they thought that hyper-activism would substitute for the inactivity of the masses; b) it's their only way to get people to make huge personal sacrifices

Meanwhile, the Christian fundies motivate people by telling them they will go to Hell if they don't fight the Left.

I hypothesize that with a more interested public, something not under control of left grouplets, activism would not be as burdensome. There would be more people ready to pitch in, and the perceived returns would be greater.

mbs

-----Original Message----- From: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com]On Behalf Of joanna bujes Sent: Friday, September 20, 2002 2:44 PM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: Re: Lefty despair

At 02:18 PM 09/20/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>One of the main
> >>reasons that the left is so dull is its emphasis on self-sacrifice to
the
> >>exclusion of pleasure, and its use of guilt as a means of manipulation;
> >>many leftist groups are outright puritanical, and even the most
> >>enlightened usually treat pleasure as something frivolous, as something
> >>unworthy of attention. As a result, participation in most political
groups
> >>is about as enjoyable as a visit to the dentist.

Well, in terms of my own personal experience with a leftist/Trotskyist group in the eighties, the passage above describes it perfectly. Haven't stopped being a "leftist" but left that group after two miserable years.

Joanna