Lefty despair

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Fri Sep 20 13:22:22 PDT 2002

>Bot don't forget they promise heaven to those who do. And polls show
>most Americans who beleive in heaven think they're going there
>(numbers are around 75% for each question, I think).
>Next to heaven, what's single-payer?

But if most folks know they are going to heaven, but also know they don't have decent health care, single payer health care may be a larger deciding issue for many folks.

But seriously, Christianity (or any religion) is not inherently anti-left, as social gospel movements have shown continually. As a non-believer, I can argue intellectually against God and stuff, but as a leftist I don't feel any particular opposition to most religious folks, or see them inherently in opposition to left goals. Jesus was a frigging communist, even if Paul led the whole thing to respectability. But lots of lefty tendencies there-- people who want to be conservative can find the passages they need to justify themselves, as can the lefties.

-- Nathan Newman