Lefty despair

Todd Archer todda39 at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 21 05:22:59 PDT 2002

Brian said:

>If the passage above "makes it sound like being among leftists is bad >for
>health," that's because sometimes it is.

What do you mean by this? That leftists in some countries are rounded up and shot/tortured/jailed, etc? Yes, I can see how being a leftist in that context can be hazardous to the health. Being a lefty in the North and West usually means having to have a good supply of Pepto Bismol handy.

>Maybe not as bad as being among some groups of rightists (or maybe >worse),
>but bad nonetheless.

I'm sure Doug could come up with some anecdotes about this one, to both support and counter it. Look, no matter what their political stripes, given a big enough group, you'll get a small "core" of "zealots" and "true believers" (relatively speaking). So why club the rest of the group with their behaviour?

>I have no idea what the problem in admitting this is.

There's no problem in "admitting" it, but that's not what I see a lot of people doing here. More like gleefully harping on what's "wrong" with "The Left".

I don't know about Yoshie's reasoning, but I'm getting sick of only hearing how "The Left" is depressing, dour, violent, uncaring, etc. ad nauseam. I almost weep in relief when I see a more balanced view, such as Justin's.

<sigh!> Pass the Pepto . . . .

Todd