Lefty despair

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Sep 21 14:14:29 PDT 2002

Jenny wrote:

>I don't read most of these 'criticisms' as dismissals of the left, but
>attempts to get a handle on what makes us dull (when we are) despairing (when
>we are) or unreadable (when we are). I don't see the problem with that.

We can't get a handle on anything without facts, which are missing in the jeremiads about "the left in general" posted here.

If any piece written by a leftist is unreadable, it can be corrected, through editing, proofreading, etc. If any leftist or what is done or written by him or her is "dull" by some other leftist's standard (whatever is meant by such a judgment), however, I don't think that there is anything that we can do about that, except to shun the person or his or her product. As for "despair," in my humble opinion, if any leftist is "despairing," the last thing he or she needs is conspicuous consumption of jeremiads and tirades against "the left in general."...

>But I've heard Chomsky do this too. We all have a responsibility, everyone
>here, it's being done in our name, etc. etc. All true enough, I'm just
>saying it's neither the most inspiring nor interesting part of the truth.
>Better to tell the story of how we fought atrocity X, and gain lessons from
>that. Essentially, there's a choice of emphasis: "You are a group of
>oppressors, you must throw off your oppressive tendencies in the name of
>humanity." As opposed to: we're being lied to, used, and manipulated by
>these murderous fuckers, and everyone in this room has a direct, immediate
>interest in ending their rule.

I don't think that Chomsky represents ordinary Americans as oppressors. Setting Chomsky aside, though, I agree with you that it is important to clarify that US imperialism is not in the interest of American workers, and I've said and written to that effect, in my activist efforts as well as postings here. -- Yoshie